Thursday, August 9

What to do after a binge

I had a major binge today, I don't even want to post how many calories.  I went out for dinner at an italian place and the group decided to order family style platters for everyone but the all the traditional courses.  There was so much food and relatives were basically spooning it on my plate.  It was soooo delicious but I will have to eat really healthy and work out a little more than usual for the rest of the week!  I finished my I think 3rd day? of the 14 day abs challenge so I am at least sticking to that.  Since I'm not the only one who's ever binged I am posting a list of things you can do after a binge to get back on track and stay positive.  I also think you should drink lots of water too, which wasn't mentioned.


1. Journal. And then journal again. Try to think of a binge 
episode as an opportunity to discover something totally new
and interesting about yourself. No matter the circumstances and
how familiar they might be, each binge is different and has its
own identifiable triggers – environmental and emotional.
Journaling is a fantastic way of analyzing the thoughts and
feelings you were having prior to, during, and after the binge. If
you’re getting stuck in the embarrassment or frustration you’re
feeling now and can’t even remember what was going on before
eating, then just explore those feelings. Your truth lies within the
words – or images – that you can get on paper. There’s no
wrong or write (pun intended!) way – just let it flow.
2. Eat protein. Not just protein of course, but make sure you incorporate protein rich foods into your diet after a binge. Many of those who binge tend to do so on high carbohydrate foods, and there’s a scientific and perfectly comprehensible reason for this. Carb-rich foods help the amino acid tryptophan to produce serotonin – the “feel-good chemical” in our brains. When we binge and eat lots of carbs, we increase our serotonin levels and voilà! – we feel good. But as you might expect, as our blood sugar and serotonin levels even out or drop, we can feel sluggish, irritable, and depressed. Eating protein-rich food ensures we’re getting enough tryptophan and keep our mood in check.
3. Start using those affirmations you’ve been collecting. You’ve heard them before. Maybe you’ve even written them in your journal, put them on your vision board, or recite them in the shower. Well, now is the time to pull out all the self-love wisdom you can muster and pour it on yourself. Some of my favorites: A lapse is not a relapse. I treat myself with kindness and patience. I forgive myself and others, release the past and move forward with love in my heart. Every day is a chance to recreate my life. What are some of your favorites?
4. Exercise. Gently! Exercise should not be used as a punishment – ever! Don’t plan on setting any marathon PRs today or burn XXX calories in hot yoga. Instead, focus on doing something that makes your body feeling utterly amazing and do it mindfully. This means keeping present with the way that your body moves and feels, even as you take a gentle walk or stretch out your limbs. Shifting your perspective from seeing your body as your enemy to seeing it as your ally will help prevent treating it with disrespect in the future.
The moral of the story is to be kind and patient with yourself. Tearing yourself down or throwing your eating schedule off even further with restriction or more binging will just make it more difficult to develop the healthy relationship with food and yourself that you want. Try something new this morning and start with self-love. And some protein!
Note: This list I have re-posted, it was written by Ashley Solomon, PsyD, a psychologist who blogs at Nourishing the Soul .  





No comments: